The College was founded by John Huggens, a corn merchant of Sittingbourne, in 1844 and officially opened in 1847.
The Principal Objective of the Charity is to provide Almshouse accommodation for members of the Church of England, or members of Churches affiliated to Churches Together in Britain and Ireland, who are of good character, have passed their sixtieth birthday, are of limited financial resource and are capable of independent living.
The original houses were demolished in the 1960s and replaced by thirty bungalows. At the same time the Chapel and Lodge were rebuilt. The Chaplain’s House is the only part of the original College to remain and was originally a farmhouse.
The Chaplain is an ordained minister of the Church of England and is licensed by the Bishop of Rochester to conduct services and to minister here. A close working connection exists between the local parish church St Botolph’s and the Chapel.